As a computer repair technician, I am constantly reloading and setting up computer systems. Customers buy new machines and want to have the data transferred from the old. For most things, the process is straightforward and simple. However, with email, when setting up Outlook, a password is required. The problem arises with this, because there is a “save password” box in Outlook so that the user does not have to type it in every time. Now, as time goes on, the user forgets this password and it can be difficult to recover. In Outlook, it just shows up as a bunch of dots.
Recover Email Password Easily
Fortunately, a company called Nirsoft has developed a tool to easily discover that forgotten email password. According to the website here are the email passwords that can be recovered:
Mail PassView is a small password-recovery tool that reveals the passwords and other account details for the following email clients:
- Outlook Express
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 (POP3 and SMTP Accounts only)
- Microsoft Outlook 2002/2003/2007/2010/2013/2016 (POP3, IMAP, HTTP and SMTP Accounts)
- Windows Mail
- Windows Live Mail
- Netscape 6.x/7.x (If the password is not encrypted with master password)
- Mozilla Thunderbird (If the password is not encrypted with master password)
- Group Mail Free
- Yahoo! Mail – If the password is saved in Yahoo! Messenger application.
- Hotmail/MSN mail – If the password is saved in MSN/Windows/Live Messenger application.
- Gmail – If the password is saved by Gmail Notifier application, Google Desktop, or by Google Talk.
The software can be downloaded here: MailPassView Download Page
One known problem with software like this, false antivirus positives. Your antivirus program may consider this a “hacking tool” and mark it as a virus. There is a small blurb at the bottom of the download page that addresses this issue.
This program needs to be installed on the system that has the current working version of the email program being used. It will then query that program and determine the password. This process can be done quickly and easily.